So last week and this weekend I was swamped spending pretty much every night trying to get the Wicket Stuff project organized. When I started, the trunk of Wicket Stuff had over 85 folders (subprojects) in it. It was a mess. Tons of these have been abandoned over time, with no work done since the 1.3 release of Wicket was cut and trunk changed to 1.4 development. The biggest problem I wanted to address (and the community overwhelmingly agreed) was that there was no standard release pattern for nearly any WicketStuff project.
What we decided
It was decided to create a “core” project for WicketStuff where other projects would reside under it (using Maven modules). We would get this core building and releasing snapshots in the wicketstuff.org maven repo so that if you were developing against Wicket 1.4-SNAPSHOT, you could also do the same for the WicketStuff projects. Then, whenever a numbered release of Wicket came out (i.e. 1.4-rc2 soon), we would cut a release with the same number for WicketStuff. This should make it much easier to use the WicketStuff projects, many of which have never had any numbered releases (you always had to compile your own to use).
What was accomplished
Here’s a quick summary of what was accomplished:
- 21 projects were moved into the core (including “examples” projects) (UPDATE: more are being migrated - this number has grown)
- 32 folders were removed from trunk into the attic
- All that in over 73 commits!
- This left us with around 30-something folders left in trunk - and hopefully most of those will move into the core project.
Here’s a status page that I’ll be updating as more progress is made: